HMRC’s newly announced Let Property Campaign is designed to encourage residential property landlords to come forward and voluntarily disclose any undeclared rental income to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
Although the campaign will be directed at all residential landlords, HMRC is particularly focusing on:
• Landlords who let to students/groups of workers.
• Landlords who let out holiday accommodation.
• Landlords who let out properties for multiple occupancy.
HMRC estimates that up to 1.5 million landlords may be underpaying £500 million in tax every year. In a departure from previous campaigns and in recognition of the sheer scale of the potential numbers involved, HMRC intends to run the campaign for at least 18 months.
Help is available for landlords by calling HMRC’s Let Property Campaign Hotline on 03000 514 479 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. HMRC also intends to work with a variety of bodies over the next few months to develop tools and guidance, to enable landlords to bring their tax affairs up to date and then remain compliant.
The Let Property Campaign follows hard on the heels of the Property Sales Campaign, which is directed at people who may have sold residential property, in the UK or abroad, that was not their main home. Such property disposals are potentially liable to Capital Gains Tax. The opportunity to voluntarily disclose any undeclared property disposal proceeds closed on 6 September 2013 for the Property Sales Campaign.
If you would like further advice or assistance in relation to this campaign, please do get in touch. Telephone: 01242 223160, email email@example.com.
For more information about us please visit our website.
- RT @savechildrenuk: #ChristmasJumperDay is 4 days away! There’s still time to sign up if you haven’t already >> save.tc/BIIB50jSq55 htt… 6 hours ago
- Join the Grant & Co team for @savechildrenUK #christmasjumperday - wear a woolly and donate to save children's live… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- We are #recruiting for an Accounts Senior/Semi-Senior with practice experience to join our team. NO AGENCIES… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- We are currently #recruiting for an ACCOUNTS ASSISTANT / TRAINEE to join our friendly team. NO AGENCIES glosjobs.co.uk/apprentice-job… 1 day ago
- RT @IPSEwestminster: .@teamIPSE Freelancer of the Year Awards are now open! It doesn’t matter who you are or what you do; if you freelance,… 1 day ago