HMRC’s newly announced Let Property Campaign is designed to encourage residential property landlords to come forward and voluntarily disclose any undeclared rental income to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
Although the campaign will be directed at all residential landlords, HMRC is particularly focusing on:
• Landlords who let to students/groups of workers.
• Landlords who let out holiday accommodation.
• Landlords who let out properties for multiple occupancy.
HMRC estimates that up to 1.5 million landlords may be underpaying £500 million in tax every year. In a departure from previous campaigns and in recognition of the sheer scale of the potential numbers involved, HMRC intends to run the campaign for at least 18 months.
Help is available for landlords by calling HMRC’s Let Property Campaign Hotline on 03000 514 479 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. HMRC also intends to work with a variety of bodies over the next few months to develop tools and guidance, to enable landlords to bring their tax affairs up to date and then remain compliant.
The Let Property Campaign follows hard on the heels of the Property Sales Campaign, which is directed at people who may have sold residential property, in the UK or abroad, that was not their main home. Such property disposals are potentially liable to Capital Gains Tax. The opportunity to voluntarily disclose any undeclared property disposal proceeds closed on 6 September 2013 for the Property Sales Campaign.
If you would like further advice or assistance in relation to this campaign, please do get in touch. Telephone: 01242 223160, email email@example.com.
For more information about us please visit our website.
- A #Valentines message from HMRC. If you would like any help on this topic please do get in touch.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- BBC News - Brexit doubts leave firms 'hung out to dry' bbc.co.uk/news/business-… 3 days ago
- ow.ly/HfQT30nGrkW Latest News for Business - Businesses urged to prepare for post-Brexit Customs Declarations… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- If you are concerned about the impact of Brexit on your business we can help by providing advice / financial projec… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- ow.ly/ZF7P30nEDgn LATEST NEWS FOR BUSINESS - MTD for VAT - pilot extended to all eligible businesses. #MTD #MTDfV #VAT 5 days ago