HMRC’s newly announced Let Property Campaign is designed to encourage residential property landlords to come forward and voluntarily disclose any undeclared rental income to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
Although the campaign will be directed at all residential landlords, HMRC is particularly focusing on:
• Landlords who let to students/groups of workers.
• Landlords who let out holiday accommodation.
• Landlords who let out properties for multiple occupancy.
HMRC estimates that up to 1.5 million landlords may be underpaying £500 million in tax every year. In a departure from previous campaigns and in recognition of the sheer scale of the potential numbers involved, HMRC intends to run the campaign for at least 18 months.
Help is available for landlords by calling HMRC’s Let Property Campaign Hotline on 03000 514 479 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. HMRC also intends to work with a variety of bodies over the next few months to develop tools and guidance, to enable landlords to bring their tax affairs up to date and then remain compliant.
The Let Property Campaign follows hard on the heels of the Property Sales Campaign, which is directed at people who may have sold residential property, in the UK or abroad, that was not their main home. Such property disposals are potentially liable to Capital Gains Tax. The opportunity to voluntarily disclose any undeclared property disposal proceeds closed on 6 September 2013 for the Property Sales Campaign.
If you would like further advice or assistance in relation to this campaign, please do get in touch. Telephone: 01242 223160, email email@example.com.
For more information about us please visit our website.
- June 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- January 2018
- July 2017
- August 2016
- July 2016
- March 2015
- January 2015
- July 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- December 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- August 2012
- RT @hmtreasury: We’re helping businesses get ready for Brexit by automatically allocating them trading numbers. Getting an EORI number is t… 1 day ago
- Britain's self-employed workers swell to 4.96m, driven by women thismon.ee/a/7334075 via @ThisIsMoney #pensions #retirement 3 days ago
- Pension scams can have devastating consequences. Are you ScamSmart? Take this pensions scam quiz fca.org.uk/scamsmart/pens… #pensions 1 week ago
- The 'broken business rates system' must be fixed say 50 top retailers #highstreet #retailers punchline-gloucester.com/articles/aanew… 1 week ago
- There is problem with some DD's for payment of #VAT under #MTD not being taken from bank accounts. If if you did no… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago